Jun 23, 2010

No Fat Tomatillo Salsa

This recipe is from one of my sister's bffs Ashley, who according to her, is a fiery redheaded Southern Belle who's name should be said exactly like Scarlet says it in Gone With The Wind....a total of about 4 syllables (PS - I just had to google syllables, and yes, I had it spelled wrong originally...where is Laura Bush when you need her....). No matter how you say it, this girl can co-oo-oo-oo-k. This recipe is delish, and I'm sure I did several things wrong, but regardless it turned out fantabuloso (that's my way of saying fantabulous in Spanish. I learned it from Captain Wonderful when we were in Playa Del Carmen...you just put an "o" onto the end of whatever English word your saying and say it with a Mexican accent. Oh, and say it louder then normal too, that's key). (PS -I can't wait to try this on grilled chicken or fish, or in enchiladas...or breakfast tacos...and lions and tigers and bears, oh my!)


Here's what you need:
5 tomatillos per 1 yellow onion
2-3 jalapenos
Several Garlic Cloves (suit to how much you like garlic. I heart the stuff so I used a LOT-o)
Juice from 3 limes
2t cumin
1t each: salt, pepper, caynenne pepper, oregano (I happened to have Ground White Pepper on hand and it was delicious-i-o-so instead of black pepper, made it kind of smoky)
Handful of cilantro

(Note to self....quit spending your candle money on wine....)

Peel your onion & tomatillos and rinse them. (PS- I think tomatillos are weird little things) With a small coring knife remove the core. Put in a pot with the onion and cover with water. Bring to a boil and let simmer about 10 minutes or until they are a light green. You don't want them to mushy or they fall apart. Drain, cut both ends of your onion and throw all of it in the blender or food processor, and set it to the side.




 Notice the one on the top that refused to change color with the rest of them....if that tomatillo were a kid it would be a goth kid....just HAVING to be different! Why don't you just go hang out with the jalapenos. Geez...CONFORM damn you.

















 Roast your japapenos until they are charred BLACK. Like Goth Black. You can do this in the oven on broil or over a flame on a gas stove. Once they're done, place them in a sealed ziplock bag and let them steam for 10 minutes. Remove them from the bag, chop the top off and peel the black skin off and throw them in the blender with tomatillos and onion. (P.S. -Captain Wonderful opened the oven door a total of 170 times and told me he didn't think I was doing it right.  After the 170th time, I could no longer take it and told him the next time he opened the oven door that I was going to shove his ass in asked him if they taught him how to do it in Culinary School? He left and went outside and quit doing it).

Add the remaining ingredients to the blender and pulse until it's the consistency you like it. I like mine like I like snakes I find in my yard....beaten to death.


No comments: